All-On-4® Dental Implants for Missing Teeth
Tooth loss is a common problem among adults. Children lose primary teeth with the expectation that new teeth will grow. However, adults have only permanent teeth which once fallen they can only be replaced with false teeth. Nowadays, people are opting for a full mouth dental implant over living with the hassles and discomfort of dentures.
What Are All-On-4 Implants?
All-on-4 implants are a full set of implants that replace the entire upper and lower set of teeth. They are a permanent and naturally-looking alternative for dentures. Before, each implant replaced a single tooth. Each dental implant has a small titanium screw that the dentist inserts into the gum. The dentist will then place a single false tooth on the screw.
All-on-4 implants make it easier. You don’t need to replace missing teeth one by one. Your dentist will only insert for titanium screws into the gum. He or she then will place a permanent denture over titanium screws. The prosthetic teeth will stay permanently in your mouth and look natural, just like your real teeth.
The Procedure of Getting All-On-Four Dental Implants in El Segundo, CA
Fear and uncertainty make all-on-4 procedure scary. However, it is a friendly procedure. The following is the process of getting the all-on-four dental implants:
At Dr. Smile’s dental clinic, the dentist will first make you feel comfortable. He will administer local or general anesthesia to ensure you will feel no pain during the surgery.
The dentist will then prepare the mouth for the implants. The preparation involves the removal of the remaining teeth that are likely to fall out. He or she will then clear the infected tissue on your gums or jaw.
Next, the dentist will insert four titanium screws into your jawbone through the gum tissue. The dentist inserts two screws towards the front and the other two towards the back. The purpose of placing two in the front and two in the back is to bare the force of the denture evenly.
Finally, the dentist will clean the surgical sites and suture all the incisions. You will be taken to the recovery room to wake up from anesthesia and rest.
Do you want to find a Saturday dentist near you? In our clinic, you will find a dentist even on Saturdays.
What Is the Recovery Time for All-On-4 Dental Implants?
Traditional dentures take up to 10 months for you to recover. However, all-on-four implants will take less time for recovery. Titanium screws are bio-compatible hence fuse with the bone and provide stability for the denture from the first day.
During the first hours after you stop bleeding, you will have gauze packs placed over the surgical areas. Bite down gently to ensure they are in place. After an hour, the dentist will ask you to remove the gauzes and replace them with new ones. In case of excessive bleeding, you will have to hold on with the same gauzes until the bleeding stops.
Benefits of All-On-4
The all-on-4 procedure poses numerous benefits. Below are some of the benefits:
- They prevent bone loss and degradation. Tooth loss leads to bone degradation. These implants prevent bone degradation since the titanium screws play the same role as the roots of natural teeth. The pressure they exert to the jawbone resembles that of natural teeth hence encourage mass retention on the bone.
- All-on-4 implants boost self-confidence. Missing teeth affect your appearance. All-on-implants provide you a full set of natural-looking teeth that enhance your smile. You will also not have to worry about the embarrassment that loose dentures bring about.
- They are easier to take care of and offer better hygiene. All-on-4 imp implants are easy to brush and floss. However, you will still have to go for regular check-ups. The implants also save you the cost of buying adhesives regularly, unlike traditional dentures.
- All-on-4 dental implants offer permanent solutions. They do not require frequent visits to the dentist for fitting. Once fitted they will last for long. The screws are also bio-compatible hence, they can not lead to gum retention.
How Do I Take Care of All-On-Four Dental Implants?
These implants require care just as natural teeth. A dentist in El Segundo, CA, recommends the following:
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily from after surgery
- Place a damp gauze over the surgical areas in case of bleeding
- Use ice packs to minimize swellings
- For the first few days stick to lots of fluids in your diet
- For the first 4 days after surgery do not engage in any contact sport